About Me

My photo
Nebraska, United States
A former full-time teacher living her life-long dream of staying at home. And homeschooling to boot! Comments make my day. Thanks for stopping by! kimlepper at gmail.com

Saturday, February 28, 2009

A week of Mondays

I really connected with my seniors this week. So much so that they ask me all the time now how much longer I have. They are eagerly counting down with me. Why, you ask?

Because my due date is their last day of school.

Anywho...

This week was looooooooooooooooong. Monday should have been Friday. Usually my weeks start of well and then tapper off from there. This week each day got a little better. May sound great- but when you finish Monday and burst into tears due to exhaustion- well, suddenly 4 days turns into 4 months. But, on the bright side, seeing what a witch I was on Monday, my students were angels for me the rest of the week.

But I guess they can only behave for one class a day, because they were hellians for everyone else.
Now, before I continue, I need to explain where I work. This is not your regular high school. It is suppose to be a place where kids who need to catch up on credits or need a smaller school setting go. But the regular schools see us as a dumping ground for all their problems. One principal was keeping kids out of her school, but not signing off for them to come to us. Her reasoning? Those kids were not problems- just behind. She wanted to send us her drug/violence kids, and was just waiting for them to be caught.

Let me sum that up-- she was not allowing kids who were behind in school to go to school so that she could later send us her problem kids.

So, I work at a school where more than half are on probation and are in and out of jail/court. The other half are teen-moms or moms-to-be, with a few regular kids who are just trying to catch up on credits.
Tuesday we had a sub. This sub is really our one-and-only. Few others willingly sub for us. And she is great with them- knows their names, histories and is so, so patient.
But like I said--they can only be good for one teacher per day.
She had to send more than half her class to the office each period. They were being horrible. They refused to work, stay in their seats and mouthed off to the sub like you wouldn't believe.

I was in the office at one point and heard one of the students explain why the sub was at fault and therefore they were all justified in their outragous behavior

The seating chart the teacher left was wrong.

That right. She was telling them to sit in the wrong spot.

The Horror.

And that was just Tuesday.

No comments:

Ram Sam Sam

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lil Sister

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Genevieve

Lilypie First Birthday tickers