About Me

My photo
Nebraska, United States
A former full-time teacher living her life-long dream of staying at home. And homeschooling to boot! Comments make my day. Thanks for stopping by! kimlepper at gmail.com

Friday, November 29, 2013

So what DO you eat?!

Contrary to what most think when they hear all that I've elimated (dairy/soy/beef/corn/egg/nuts/fish/wheat/gluten), I do eat and am rarely hungry or looking for variety.  The day I went on the diet my husband and I filled the kitchen and fridge with food for me.  The following is what I have on my menu:

Wrap-up of some sort- currently with hummus, Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing, avocado, deli-meat, lettuce and tomato.  I had a heck of a time finding something that was corn AND egg free to hold what I wanted to eat together.  I found this recipe which I tried tonight.  They taste wonderful but it's a lot of work.  Then there are Paleo Wraps, which I ordered and had to take a loan out just to have them shipped (shipping was three times the price of the wraps.  I would have bought the bulk package, but I just wanted to try them first!)

Food For Life's granola with rice milk- this is usually my breakfast.  It's really hard not to eat three or four bowls.  I just remind myself of the price for one bag and that usually helps me to stop.

Rice Chex with rice milk- this is my dessert usually.  How is this sweet enough?  I always  usually douse it with sugar.

Homemade Granola bars - kind of cookie-like, but they fill me up if I need something quick.  Coconut oil makes them crunchier, canola oil chewier (and slightly greasier). It's still a recipe in progress...

Granola recipe, click to enlarge
Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds mixed together- I put them in a container in the car to help curb any hunger while out and about

Potatoes- the possibilities are endless, but Jeremy will make his hashbrowns (using bacon grease-yum!), I do a basic baked potato, potato fries, what we call Ralph's potatoes (red potatoes, butter/butter substitute, garlic salt and parsley- mix in the microwave until fork tender), mashed potatoes, etc



Spaghetti sauce with rice pasta- one of my main staples.  Jeremy will make a HUGE batch and freeze it.  Lasts me about a week :)
Jeremy's famous Spaghetti sauce recipe- click to enlarge

Pork chops- I get them when they are 10/$10 with .10 off per gallon.  Jeremy will cook up a bunch of them for me and I eat them hot or cold.  Samantha likes them too-sometimes for breakfast.

Rice- I prefer brown rice.  I use Alton Brown's recipe with olive oil, double it and freeze it.  I eat this with my pork chops a lot of the time.

Broccoli/green beans/asparagus- all sauteed with olive oil and garlic salt.  Jeremy prefers to boil the broccoli

Pork Butt- Jeremy made an amazing bone-in pork butt roast tonight.  With the fat side up, salt it sprinkle with pepper, parsley and oregano.  Rest on top 1/2 onion, 1/2 clove crushed garlic, 3-4 medium carrots, 2-3 sticks of celery, cook in pressure cooker for 1.5 hrs (from frozen state) or in a crock-pot until it falls apart.  We (as in I ate the same thing as the rest of the family!!!) ate it with Ralph's potatoes and broccoli.

Imagine brand's soups with diced avocado- not all of them are safe, but the potato &leek and black bean are safe. 

Trader Joe's soups- the ORGANIC butternut squash is safe- a few others too I'm sure, they just didn't appeal to me.

Canned fruit/fuit leather

Sliced apple with sunbutter

Chicken thighs- I think Jeremy just seasons and broils them


Chocolate oatmeal bars

Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal bars- click to enlarge
Quinoa- I haven't actually made it yet.  But I have it sitting on the shelf to be made here soon.  I'd take suggestions on recipes, but I think I'm just going to cook it up and eat it with my butter.

Potato pops dipped in hummus

Bacon- yum...I add it to whatever I can or just eat it when it is rationed out.  Bacon is a comodity in our house.

Salad- with Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing, carrots, avocado, celery, sunflower seeds, tomato, etc...
____________________________________________________________________________

That's all I can think of for now.  I think I'll be able to add egg into my diet soon (I was never suspicious of it, but took it out just in case).  If it's ok, the possibilities are endless- bread! mayo! real tortillas! fried rice!

No comments:

Ram Sam Sam

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lil Sister

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Genevieve

Lilypie First Birthday tickers